Edinburgh Botanic Garden Set to Reopen
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh has confirmed it will reopen to visitors on Wednesday 1 July.
The reopening will provide local communities with the opportunity to reengage with nature and enjoy the health and well-being benefits of access to the outdoors.
In line with First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s announcement on “Scotland’s route map through and out of the current lockdown,” and reflecting her update in Parliament today (Thursday, June 18) well-considered strategies have been developed to create a safe environment for visitors and staff at the attraction in Inverleith, Edinburgh.
Regius Keeper Simon Milne MBE says: “It is heartening that visitors enjoyed following us online while the gates were closed and we hope they will continue to do so. However, the benefits of real time interaction with the natural environment are unsurpassable. We ask for everyone’s patience, understanding and support as we resume operations steadily and in a way that works for everyone.”
The health and safety of visitors and staff remains a top priority. With this in mind, the gardens will be implementing new measures to protect everyone:
- Visitors will receive a warm welcome at a distance.
- There will be hand sanitiser units at Garden entrances.
- There will be protection screens at receptions.
- PPE will be available for our staff.
- There will be helpful, directional signage within the Gardens.
- Toilets will be open but please observe maximum limits.
- Visitors will be asked to observe two metre physical distancing in line with Scottish Government guidelines.
A new and important measure for the reopening of the Edinburgh flagship Garden will be the introduction of time slots tickets, to be booked in advance by visitors. While admission to the Garden remains free of charge, this temporary method of entry will enable staff to limit the number of visitors accessing the Garden at any one time. The Glasshouses will remain closed initially and the Garden will be open from 10am-5pm. Capacity will be limited to 2,000 visitors a day.
More details about the reopening of the Gardens and details of how Edinburgh visitors can book an advance time slot ticket will be announced on the Botanic Garden website and social media platforms on Wednesday 24 June.
- Green shoots of recovery cultivate job opportunities at The Botanics
- Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art’s Modern Two to reopen with landmark show
- Welcome back to National Museums Scotland
- Welcome back to Edinburgh Castle
- After Hours summer events return to Edinburgh Zoo
- Grounds at Hopetoun House to reopen