Old Curiosity Gin Tour at Real Mary King's Close
Coinciding conveniently with World Gin Day, Real Mary King’s Close has teamed up with local herb and gin experts – Old Curiosity to create an underground gin tour that is fascinating and deliciously thirst-quenching in equal measure in a homage to Edinburgh’s famous plague doctors and illicit 18th century gin trade.
Each botanically inspired gin tour will explore the life and times of Edinburgh’s first plague doctor – Joannes Paulitius. In a journey back in time, through incredibly preserved 17th century streets, discover why herbs were thought to protect the doctor from the deadly plague epidemic. Along the way, visitors will enjoy a variety of Old Curiosity gin creations.
Learn about the origins of gin production in the city, and why Mary King’s Close was at the centre of a thriving and bustling illicit trade. From the Dutch traded genever (gin’s precursor), to the adventures of local smugglers, and the distilling innovations that led to Edinburgh’s lengthy love affair with this chameleon spirit – there is a myriad of tales just waiting to be told.
- Late night 1.5 hour guided experience.
- Old Curiosity gin expert to lead you through the tastings.
- 3 x speciality G&Ts. Apothecary Rose, Lemon Verbena, Chamomile & Cornflower.
- 1 x plague doctor inspired Lavender & Echinacea gin cocktail.
Take in the aromas and become a gin expert as you try a range of exclusive and specially selected Old Curiosity gins; made right here in Edinburgh.
Tour Dates And Times:
August – every Wednesday at 9.45pm
September – every Saturday at 9.15pm
To book the tour, please visit the venue website or call the team on 0131 225 0672. This venue is also available for private and group hire. To find out more about hosting your unique event at Real Mary King’s Close, please complete an enquiry form.
- Go ahead for plans to safeguard Scotland’s priceless plant collections of Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
- Colourful and Elegant Scottish Castle Wedding at Winton Castle in East Lothian
- Edinburgh’s Castle of Light
- Indulge Yourselves in an Afternoon Tea at Newbattle Abbey
- Dundas Castle Winter Wedding Discount
- Lucas Ice Cream Family Day at Musselburgh Racecourse