Tuft Loving: Recent Rug Projects at Dovecot Studios
Dovecot Studios is currently showing “Tuft Loving: Recent Rug Projects”. Curated by Ben Divall, this display on the Viewing Balcony at Dovecot illustrates the diversity of recent rug projects created in collaboration with artists and designers including Linder Sterling, Timorous Beasties, Than Clark, Garry Fabian Miller and Adrian Wiszniewski.
Dovecot, renowned for its output of high quality tapestries, has in recent years earned a reputation as a centre for the production of tufted rugs. Created in the same spirit of collaboration, quality, and sensitivity to colour blending and surface texture, Dovecot’s rug tufters provide another way of creating bespoke textiles.
Recent projects from Dovecot tufters have reached beyond the domestic or commercial interior, to include commissions for historic houses, for contemporary artist’s installations and even for use in performances. Overlooking the weaving floor, where tapestry and tufting is an ongoing process in Dovecot’s busy studio, the exhibition aims to highlight the skills of the tufters, and the diversity of projects in which they have been recently involved.
Viewing Balcony opening times:
Thurs and Fri 12-3pm Sat 10.30am-5.30pm or by appointment.
The exhibition runs until 06 May 2017.
Photo by Shannon Tofts.
- National Museum of Scotland Goes Live with Google Arts & Culture
- Scottish Dining Experiences at Mansfield Traquair
- Special Menu Offer at the Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Preparing for the summer season at The Botanics
- Signet Library Launches its Spring/Summer Canapé and Drinks Collection
- New Conference Centre takes shape at Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh