Each month, the Unique Venues of Edinburgh Spotlight section introduces a member of staff from one of the many fantastic venues across the city. This month the spotlight is on Elaine, Head of Sales and Marketing at the National Museum of Scotland Hospitality and Events. She has worked for the Museum now for more than 7 years and has a wealth of experience selling events in luxury venues.
She understands the fine balance required in planning successful events with her clients in a unique venue, which is first and foremost a visitor attraction. We asked Elaine to describe working in such a vibrant and interesting venue: “We are proud to offer such a unique and special venue for events and it is fabulous to be able to work with our clients to transform the Museum, a true national treasure, into a stunning evening venue”.
To find out more information about events at the National Museum of Scotland, please visit the website or get in touch with the hospitality team via email or call on 0131 247 4113
Edinburgh’s iconic Christmas Party venue, Dynamic Earth, has appointed Claire Bolt as their 2017 Christmas Coordinator. Claire brings a wealth of experience to the role, with specific expertise in client account management and events, with previous employers including Scoot and Flow Hospitality Training. We decided to ask this festive expert what was on her wishlist for a perfect Christmas:
- Favourite Christmas song? Has to be Fairy Tale of New York!
- Christmas Cake or Mince Pie? Picking the icing of Christmas cake. I’m not a fan of fruit cake!
- Favourite Christmas Film? Elf. I love to snuggle on the sofa with my two children and watch it with a mulled wine in hand.
- Best Christmas night out? I came to Dynamic Earth for Christmas night out with my previous work colleagues about four years ago and absolutely loved it! It’s a great night out for all members of the team – there’s something for everyone.
- Who would you like to meet under the mistletoe? Santa of course!
For 10 special evenings in December, as night falls, Dynamic Earth is transformed into a glamorous and visually stunning party venue. Groups of all sizes will experience a festive spectacular with first class catering, friendly service and a vibrant attitude. Dinner is served on the main Stratosphere area where this year’s theme, the ‘Aurora Borealis’ will be brought to life.
For more information please get in touch with Claire via email or give her a call on 0131 523 1292
Meet Anthony Delcros from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society. It’s no surprise that he’s pursued a life in the hospitality industry after being raised in his parents’ restaurant on the west coast of Ireland. Now he’s busy creating a selection of whisky-inspired cocktails at the Society’s Kaleidoscope Whisky Bar at 28 Queen Street.
After studying catering in the south of France Anthony worked in the bar industry, before landing his dream job in Edinburgh with The Scotch Malt Whisky Society. Anthony says that there’s so much variety in the society’s single cask whiskies and flavour profiles that when creating a cocktail list for the Kaleidoscope Bar, he was surrounded by inspiration. The ever changing selection of bottlings means he is always thinking about ways to create intriguing cocktails with a whisky twist.
Why not pop into the Kaleidoscope Whisky Bar at 28 Queen Street, EH2 1JX, Edinburgh.
For more information please visit the Society’s website or call on 0131 555 2266
Every two months we like to ask the experts at UVE venues to share their event planning top tips, this month’s titbits are from Edinburgh Zoo‘s Claire Lornie.
It’s all in the detail! I like to make sure whether it’s when organising or running an event that there is always focus on the detail. Making sure to take note of even the smallest details in meetings always makes it easier when it comes to facilitating the event.
Creating a client relationship from the first meeting is a good way to provide great customer service. You want the client to feel confident when trusting you to plan their event. Making sure to provide quick and efficient communication while being friendly allows you to build a relationship and retain a client for future events.
With our event space being in the centre of the Zoo it often provides restrictions like many other venues. So it is all about being creative and providing alternative options for the client. We work hard to meet all client requirements when planning to make sure we can provide a unique event in fantastic surroundings.
For more information about this venue, please visit the website.
Every two months, we ask the experts at UVE venues to share their events secrets. This month’s tips are Leigh Ward, event coordinator at Dovecot Studios
- Communication: It is important to hold effective and efficient communication with the client on the run up and throughout the event. Ensure the client knows how to contact you and don’t be scared to send them reminders for dietary requirements or update on attendee’s numbers; they’ll thank you in the long run.
- It is important to not only have great communication with your client, but to really understand how they want the event to work. Only you know how the venue works best for the flow of corporate events, and only the client knows what they want from the event and what will make it a success for them. Connecting both parts is vital to excel expectations.
- Finally, as a small venue and an events team of two we find it so much easier to meet clients in person were possible. Building rapport is always easier face to face and it is the best form of communication and understanding. Of course, finish every meeting with a follow-up email to secure the details and answer any pending questions.
Meet Kirsty Haxton and Rebekah Waugh from The Signet Library. Kirsty and Rebekah are event designers who combine a passion for event planning with their creative flair for food and service to provide successful and memorable events at one of Edinburgh’s most iconic venues.
The Signet Library on the Royal Mile is a spectacular and versatile space with a huge amount of character and options for hosting corporate events, private dinners and weddings.
It requires an experienced and dedicated team of professionals and that is where Kirsty and Rebekah really excel. With a background in high-end and high-level venues and events they are able to take a client’s vision, combine it with the award-winning catering of Heritage Portfolio and create a memorable and successful experience.
From suspending hundreds of tulips and candles from ceilings to designing a menu fit for a Harry Potter fan, Kirsty and Rebekah have unrivalled creative flair and an unparalleled attention to detail. To get in touch, email Kirsty or Rebekah or call on 0131 225 0651